(1) The Anglo-Saxon legal system, which allows Virginia Phillips to halt Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell in its tracks on constitutional grounds (whether her decision and stay hold up is another story, but a political one).
(2) Judge Phillips, for doing the right thing.
(3) Hardrock miners, who go deep underground in harm’s way every day, and get really useful stuff for us to use, while we seeÂ the sun come up every day, almost never risk being blown up by methane or smooshed by falling mountain parts, and don’t think about the real cost of minerals in lives and health.
(4) Civil and mechanical engineers, who can figure out how to get thirty-three of them out of a really bad situation alive, and also how to keep them alive for two months down there during the rescue drilling.
(5) Whatever enabled those 33 guys to stay sane and functional all those weeks underground.