By popular demand, comments are now open. (At least, that’s now the default; individual posts may be closed, and some of us may decide to close all our posts.)
Here are the rules I’d like to propose:
1. No naughty words. (They trigger all sorts of filters, and we can’t corrupt the minds of the youth if they can’t read our stuff.)
2. No insults to bloggers or other commenters.
3. No group defamation. Truth (as you see it) is not a defense. If you think fundamentalists are boobs, Republicans are bigots, or liberals are traitors, please say so elsewhere.
4. Don’t assume we’ve read your comment. If it contains something you think the poster needs to know, send email, as before.
5. Don’t assume we’ve read anyone else’s comment. Our not deleting it does not constitute an endorsement, or even a certification that we think it within the bounds of civilized discourse. None of us has the time or the inclination to play censor. By the same token, a poster’s failure to respond to an argument is not a concession of error; probably the poster either didn’t read the comment or didn’t think it worth responding to.
This is an experiment. We’ll see how it goes. Play nice.