Happy Labor Day! Google not and see how well you can do on this quiz about labor. As ever, please post scores and comments/critiques at the end.
1. The Industrial Workers of the World are more commonly known by what nickname?
2. In what U.S. city did the first Labor Day parade take place?
3. In the U.S., Labor Day is held on the first Monday in September, but in much of the world it falls on May 1 to memorialize the protesting workers who died in a bombing and riot in what city?
4. In what decade was the U.S. Department of Labor created?
5-7. Name the country of birth of these three labor activists: Mother Jones, Samuel L. Gompers and Walter P. Reuther.
8. Historically, Labor Day was the last day of the year that fashionable men could wear what kind of suit?
9. In 1936, British labor activists protesting mass unemployment marched almost 300 miles to Parliament from what Northeastern English city?
10. What was the middle name of American Federation of Labor president Samuel L. Gompers?
One point per correct answer, maximum score 10.
2. New York City
3. Chicago (The Haymarket massacre)
4. The 1910s (exact year was 1913)
5. Mother Jones = Ireland
6. Samuel L. Gompers = England
7. Walter P. Reuther = United States
8. Seersucker (1/2 point for “white”)
10. This was a trick question. He didn’t have one.