This quiz is made up of questions that have an obvious at first blush answer that is wrong, i.e., the sort of thing many people would blurt out without thinking. For each question your challenge is to get BOTH this obvious wrong answer and the right answer. For example, the question “Who is buried in Grant’s Tomb?” has an obvious wrong answer (Ulysses S. Grant) and a correct answer (Ulysses S. Grant and his wife Julia). If you guessed them both you would get 2 points, if you got just one you would still earn one point.
Google not and do your best. Please post scores at the end as well as any comments and critiques.
1. Who is Barloff Karloff playing here?
2. What is the world’s largest desert?
3. In Great Britain, who currently holds the title of First Lord of the Treasury?
4. Which state contains the southernmost point in the U.S.?
5. Who is this debonair, leonine voiced actor who rode an upper crust English accent to fame by playing a freelance detective in ten installments of The Falcon movie series in the 1940s?
ANSWERS (10 Points in the maximum possible score)
1. Obvious but wrong answer: Frankenstein
Correct Answer: The Monster (or Dr. Frankenstein’s Monster)
2. Obvious but wrong answer: The Sahara
Correct Answer: Antarctica
3. Obvious but wrong answer: George Osborne
Correct Answer: David Cameron
4. Obvious but wrong answer: Florida
Correct answer: Hawaii.
5. Obvious but wrong answer: George Sanders
Correct answer: Tom Conway
Conway (on the left in the photo below) and Sanders were similar looking and sounding brothers. They flipped a coin to determine who would change his name when they got to Hollywood and Tom lost. George started out starring as The Falcon but yielded the lead to Tom in an early installment, The Falcon’s Brother. George went on to become an Academy Award winning star, but Tom unfortunately went on to drink too much and is largely forgotten today.