Today’s quiz is about international abbreviations. Google not and see how you do on this one. Please post your score and any comments/corrections. Answers and scoring key after the jump.
1. During the Eurozone crisis, what five countries were referred to as the PIIGS?
2. What three nations signed the ANZUS treaty?
3. What four countries are referred to in the acronym BRIC?
4. Sometimes a fifth nation is added to make the above BRICS. What is this country?
5. What four developing nations are shorthanded as MINT?
6. For what does the acronym SEATO stand?
7. Three of the world’s busiest airports are abbreviated DXB, HND and LHR respectively. What are their full names?
8. The above are termed IATA codes, which stands for what?
9. What nations’ currencies are abbreviated BMD, ILS, NOK and TND, respectively?
10. If you were a librarian, you would often have occasion to look up an ISSN or the LTWA. For what do these acronyms stand?
ANSWERS (TOTAL POSSIBLE SCORE = 33)
1. One point for each for Portugal, Ireland, Italy, Greece and Spain. One bonus point if you got all five.
2. One point each for Australia, New Zealand and the United States.
3. One point each for Brazil, Russia, India and China. One bonus point if you got all four.
4. One point for South Africa.
5. One point each for Mexico, Indonesia, Nigeria and Turkey. One bonus point if you got all four.
6. One point for Southeast Asia Treaty Organization.
7. One point each for Dubai International, Tokyo Haneda and London Heathrow. One bonus point if you got all three.
8. One point for International Air Transport Association
9. One point each for Bermuda, Israel, Norway and Tunisia. One bonus point if you got all four.
10. One point each for International Standard Serial Number and List of Title Word Abbreviations.