Third update Bill passes. Nearly two thirds of Republicans vote for disaster.
Second update Voting now. Yup: looks as if a majority of Republicans will vote to let taxes rise for all non-rich Americans, while also crashing the markets. Amazing, when you think about it.
Update House now voting on the Rule to bring the Senate bill to the floor. No provision for amendments.
Here’s what seems to be happening:
1. Boehner promised a vote on whatever the Senate did.
2. Most of the Republicans hate the deal.
3. Boehner told them that if they could assemble a majority for an amendment, he’d allow a vote on the amendment. Presumably that would be something Ryanesque about encouraging poor people to starve.
4. But the Senate has gone home, and Reid says no vote on an amended bill.
5. If the House Repubs reject a bill that got 89 votes in the Senate, there’s no doubt who gets the blame.
6. So there won’t be 216 Republican votes for an amendment, and therefore no amendment will be offered.
7. The Senate bill will then come up for a vote, and pass with virtually all the Democrats and a few of the Republicans, including Boehner but not Cantor. That vote is expected to be tonight.
So the Teahadis get what they want, which is a chance to say they voted “No.” But Boehner has to step back from the “Hastert Rule” against voting on legislation that doesn’t have majority support within the House Republican Conference.