“Which drugs should be legal? How legal?”

Dartmouth has posted video of my drug-policy talk there. Warning: it’s 90 minutes long.

Comments

1. Freeman says

I don’t suppose there’s a transcript available somewhere? My wife doesn’t appreciate it much when my PC speakers interfere with her TV viewing, and my attempts to listen through ear buds result in the constant need to pause and remove one every time she wants to converse with me, which seems to take place most often when the focus of my attention is anywhere but on her. ;)

2. Brett Bellmore says

Ditto. Small apartment, do most of my web surfing in the morning when my wife is sleeping, (I’m a morning person, she’s decidedly not.) The odds of my finding 90 minutes to actually listen to something online are essentially zero. Not to mention that I can read a 90 minute lecture in maybe a half hour. I’ll gladly read for hours, but not listen.

3. RickG says

This video is fabulous. I’ve not seen anything that covers substances from tobacco to MDMA and pretty near everything else discussed with such perspective. The use of the microphone for the audience asking questions was quite helpful as it avoided the need to repeat or rephrase questions. I can’t say I did the ninety minutes in 1 nonstop session (that’s what the handy pause button is for), but it was time well spent. The use of the John Stuart Mill premise provided a excellent frame for the discussion to follow.

Thanks for you efforts to enlighten.

4. Arye L says

Fantastic. Is there a list of your upcoming publicly accessible lectures, Dr. Kleiman? I would love to attend.

5. Gabe says

Dr. Kleiman, I really enjoyed that talk. After it I was wondering about the illicit market in cigarettes and what that might mean for a potential illicit market in cannabis post-legalization. Is the primary impact of the illicit market to lower the street price or to divert what would have been taxes paid to the federal government into the hands of the intermediaries? If it was the former then it should still be possible to use taxation as a method of preventing the consumer price from being so low as to create the significant increase in use and abuse that you mentioned.

6. Chris P says

Mark –

Came to Samefacts to get your thoughts on Newtown, stayed to spend a most enjoyable 90 minutes — terrific talk!

Very best, chris