God is My Co-Scientist

A colleague was just typing something on her iPad.  When she typed “law review,” it auto-corrected to “laser Jew.”

Discuss.

UPDATE: Other excellent examples can be found here.

Comments

1. LincolnKennedy says

I typed “westingreader” into my iPhone and it auto-corrected to “SEATO greaser”. SEATO hasn’t existed since 1977.

2. Dennis says

I was sending a link to some friends about one Michele Bachmann brain-fart or another. Thunderbird saw “Bachmann” in my message, and recommended as a correction, “Eichmann.”

On reflection, I was forced to wonder if Thunderbird knows something I don’t.

I once saw a 2nd grader’s turned in work, her name – something like “Ana Pinuelas” spell corrected as “Anal Pinwheels”. Absolutely terrible.

4. Warren Terra says

I regularly use my Ipod touch to take fairly complete notes in seminars – to keep myself occupied, because it’s in my pocket anyway, and so I’ll have the notes in electronic format. The spellcheck is somewhat trainable, and the spellcheck is preferable to turning off the spellcheck – but in both cases only just so. What I really hate is the way that when I type a long word it doesn’t recognize (mistyped or not), the spellcheck often changes it to two utterly ludicrous words with a space between them. The spellcheck definitely needs better context-sensitive tools to figure out whether certain words it wants to propose even could be used together, and needs to give up more easily.

Typing on an iPad?
    If anybody wanted proof that Jobs was not a genius, there you go.
    Except for one thing…
    He also bought the company that built Siri.

Which is all to say:
    We’ll let our digital assistant do the typing…
    And In crowded situations we’ll have electronic pickups on our throats that will translate our subvocalizations into text.
    Or electrodes in the brain.

Keyboards for mobile computing are insanely lame…
    Learning to type with the thumbs? Are you kidding me?
    That’s like learning to swim backwards.

6. David Z says

What’s to discuss? We already knew the Jews were out to take over the world – now we know what weapons we’re to use in the process. It’s just too bad Steve Jobs gave the game away.

7. Bloix says

I once had a secretary who occasionally would type the words “does not” as doe – well, you figure it out. And spell check wouldn’t catch it.

8. Robert Waldmann says

My iPad (OK my daughter’s iPad but she doesn’t read samefacts) is set for Italian. The sad thing is that, when I surf the web with it, I can’t resist the temptation to comment on blogs. I will be back with my iPad typing and accepting (no I mean not refusing — why isn’t the default to ignore the iPad ???) corrections.

9. Robert waldmann says

Nere I am again. Let’s see WBA the iPad dose . Can anione guess what I tip ed ? Godo for coded messages to’ jeep stuff secret from old costerà (last word was codgers)