A pair of amateur Greek terrorists were arrested on Monday after mailing a round of small, primitive and easily detected letter bombs. The only professional touch to their groupuscule was the terrific name (above). The bad-taste video game is no doubt in the works, but I doubt if the inventors can claim the rights from prison.
Messrs. Tsakalos and Argyrou are understandably upset about the brutal austerity programme imposed by the EU and the bond market as a condition for bailing out Greece (or more accurately, Greece´s bondholders). So they, less understandably, mailed bombs to:
- Angela Merkel
- Nicolas Sarkozy
- ¨the embassies of Bulgaria, Russia, Germany, Switzerland, Mexico, Chile, the Netherlands and Belgium.¨
Merkel was the bad cop on the Greek bailout, so you can follow the thinking. Sarkozy played good cop, but with his usual shallow opportunism, and joined Merkel in the end. Belgium supports everything the EU does and Zurich banks are, as is well known, staffed by evil gnomes. But what have Bulgaria, Mexico and Chile done recently to the hapless Greeks?
The mailboxes of the following appear to have been left undisturbed:
- the previous Greek Prime Minister, Finance Minister, head of the Central Bank, and head of the tax collection service,
- the national statistical office of Greece, who cooked the books to order, and Eurostat, who failed to notice for years;
- the ECB and the inventors of the Euro and Stability Pact;
- Moody´s, S &P, and Fitch – the corrupt and/or incompetent rating agencies;
- Goldman Sachs and other investment banks who advised Greece on how to game the system.
In other words, the poor saps had no idea who was really responsible for the mess their country is in and just lashed out blindly at friends, foes and innocent bystanders.
Just like American electors.