Simpson and Bowles seem to be determined to give the rest of the rich old white guys a bad name.
* Reduce Social Security benefits.
* Charge veterans more for health care.
* Slash the mortgage tax deduction and the deduction for charitable giving.
* Eliminate the Earned Income Tax Credit, the centerpiece of welfare reform.
* Charge admission to the Smithsonian.
In order to:
* Reduce the top income tax rate to 23%.
Oh yeah, and eliminate funding for NPR
but don’t scrap a single named weapons system.
This makes no political sense and damned little policy sense.
Update Original post was wrong about not killing any specific weapons systems: the plan calls for cancelling the V-22 Osprey, the Expeditionary Fighting Vehicle, the Joint Light Tactical Vehicle (JLTV), the Ground Combat Vehicle, and the Joint Tactical Radio. All programs worth killing, but all marginal. Can someone explain to me why we still need three strategic nuclear forces – bombers, land-based missiles, and sea-based missiles – when there’s no longer a power that might conceivably be able to carry out a disarming first strike?