Marty Peretz, sounding more like a columnist for Der Sturmer ranting about “the Jews” that I would have thought possible in this century, says that Muslims shouldn’t have the “privilege” of free speech because some Muslims do bad things and say crazy sh*t and other Muslims fail to denounce them with sufficient hysteria.
Muslim life is cheap, most notably to Muslims. And among those Muslims led by the Imam Rauf there is hardly one who has raised a fuss about the routine and random bloodshed that defines their brotherhood. So, yes, I wonder whether I need honor these people and pretend that they are worthy of the privileges of the First Amendment which I have in my gut the sense that they will abuse.
Since Marty Peretz is Jewish, and I’m Jewish, if I failed to denounce Peretz for the crazy sh*t he says then Peretz would want to take away my First Amendment privileges.
So I hereby denounce him.
– May Marty Peretz by accursed.
– May Marty Peretz be accursed at his lying down, and at his rising up.
– May Marty Peretz be accursed in this world, and in the world to come.
– May his mouse-hand forget its cunning, and his tongue cleave to the roof of his mouth.
– May the soul of Marty Peretz be cut off from all Israel.
– In these Days of Awe, may Marty Peretz not be written in the Book of Life.
– Let the name of Marty Peretz be anathema.
– F*ck Marty Peretz, and the horse he rode in on.
I hope that’s sufficient, but if not I’m prepared to make the denunciation longer, or more specific, or more obscene, as required. I set rather a lot of store by my First Amendment privileges, and would hate to lose them.
In other words, what James Fallows said, except that Fallows isn’t Jewish and I am.
Update Additional curse added per Zasloff’s suggestion.