Here’s the sequence of events, in case you haven’t been following closely:
1. Foreign oil company, violating dozens of laws and cutting hundreds of corners, trashes an irreplaceable national asset, putting the livelihoods of hundreds of thousands of Americans at risk.
2. American President demands that the foreign oil company pay restitution for the losses it stupidly and illegally inflicted on innocent Americans.
3. Foreign oil company complies, antes up $20B.
4. Republican politicians denounce “redistribution of wealth” and “Chicago-style shakedown politics,” worry about whether the foreign oil company (which has been paying $10 billion a year in dividends) can really afford the restitution payments, and apologize to the foreign oil company for the President’s temerity in asking them to pay for the damage they caused.
I’m glad I know that GOP is the patriotic party, because if I didn’t know, I might not know. Y’know?
Update More here. The official wingnut talking point seems to be that the independently-administered $20 billion compensation account is a “slush fund” that will go to ACORN.
Steve Benen asks the right questions:
(1) Are the Republicans stupid enough to become the party of BP?
(2)Are the Democrats smart enough to help them?