“Play nice” rules

I’ve been pleased at the civility that has characterized our restored comments section; and even more pleased at how little policing has been necessary to enforce our “play nice” rules.

However, having just done a couple of deletions, I should remind everyone that calling another commenter an “idiot” or a “liar” is deletion-bait.  I’ve also deleted one (completely appropriate) comment that referred to one of the offensive comments I deleted.

Comments

1. Ed Whitney says

During the Reformation, I think that some high-ranking bishop or cardinal once referred to Martin Luther as "that pestilential fart of Satan whose stench reaches to the highest heavens." But he was saying that on his own blog site and not leaving it as a comment on someone else's. So he ran no risk of being deleted. Luther just replied "ROTFL."

Am I really commenting on samefacts ? I have wished for years to do so, but have never succeeded.

By the way, I am very glad that Luther was dignified enought not to to rply ROTFLMAO

3. Richard Cownie says

Well, after a long debate during which another commenter persistently

misrepresented my clearly-stated views and accused me of belonging

to NAMBLA, I felt that describing his misrepresentation as idiotic

was entirely justified, and in fact a rather restrained response under

the circumstances. If you don't want anyone to call anyone else an idiot

in your comments, I would suggest that you probably need to delete particularly

idiotic comments. Forcing us to call a spade an agricultural soil-moving implement

doesn't really solve the problem.

Though of course it's your blog and you can make whatever rules you like.

4. MobiusKlein says

In another venue Richard, I would suggest kindly to not provide sustenance to Thoroughly Repugnant Obsessive Loitering Losers, but that may count as 'not nice' here.

5. SRW1 says

Ed and Robert,

I'm afraid both of you got that slightly wrong. What Luther is supposed to have said was: 'Leck mich im Arsch'. Which, even when spelled out in full, should not count as a violation of Mark's 'Play nice' rules, as presenting ones blank behind and uttering these words was an accepted means of repelling witches or beelzebub in Luther's days.

6. Ed Whitney says

We moderns just have no idea how to deliver an insult. Hell, with our lack of religious instruction in our youth, we can't even blaspheme properly anymore.

Can you imagine any of Shakespeare's characters putting "WTF" in a text message and letting it go at that? What will ever become of us?

7. Fred says

I believe something I wrote was purged. I apologize if I've been ungracious in any of my comments.